Grant Programme for Design
05 june 2019
14 august 2019
16 october 2019
Budget: € 1.200.000
Creative Industries Fund NL uses the Design Grant Programme to support projects that contribute to promoting the excellent quality, development and professionalization of contemporary Dutch design. This grant programme has five application rounds a year. The annual budget is distributed equally across the rounds.
Who is this programme aimed at?
- The Design Grant Programme is intended for designers and makers working in the following fields: fashion, accessories and jewellery; the design of textiles, glass and ceramics; graphic design, typography, visual communication, interactive and information design, animation, illustrations, cartoons and graphic novels; products, furniture and industrial design, interior and spatial design, exhibition design, light design, scenography; social design.
In addition to designers and makers, the programme is also open to other parties, such as commissioning clients and cultural institutions, provided their activities serve Dutch design and designers.
You need to be registered as a company with the Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel or its foreign equivalent) when you receive the subsidy.
For which projects can a grant be applied for?
- Applications may be submitted for project grants concerning research, experiment, design, the making of new work and its presentation. Activities and publications aimed at the analysis and reflection on design are also eligible, as are projects aimed at national or international knowledge exchange and projects that stimulate popular interest in the field.
The Grant Programme for Design also has a starting grant that can be applied for (max. €7,500) to study a project's options. Read more about starting grants here.
Festivals and cultural organizations can turn to the Festivals Grant Programme for the preparation, structuring and implementation of festivals in the field of architecture.
The Creative Industries Fund NL has a shortened procedure for presentations at or participation in events abroad. Read more about the vouchers here.
What are the evaluation criteria?
- A grant may be awarded to projects that make a sufficient contribution to the objective of this grant programme and focus on at least one of the following policy objectives:
• encouraging experiments and crossovers
• stimulating research, analysis and reflection
• encouraging talent development and artistic quality
• advancing social commitment and public activities
• reinforcing the international position of the design sectors
• promoting the professionalization of design practice and exemplary commissioning
Please refer to the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) Articles 16 - 21 for the description of the evaluation criteria in relation to these policy objectives.
The evaluation of the proposals primarily focuses on the relevance of the issue, the plan of approach, the expertise of the parties involved, substantive and financial support and the consistency between all these elements.
Preparing the application
Refer to the Grant Application Guide (PDF) when submitting your application.The guide provides guidance with regard to the grant application and the drawing up of the project plan, budget and communication plan. If your application concerns a publication you may consult the Publications Calculation Form (PDF).
Subsidy Regulations and Design Grant Programme
The Creative Industries Fund NL has Subsidy Regulations that formally apply to the application, evaluation, awarding and final approval of a grant. Supplementary grant programmes have been drawn up with specific objectives and conditions. Read the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) and the Grant Programme for Design (PDF) attentively before submitting an application.
Online application environment
The application should be submitted using the online application environment. You have to sign up and create an account to do so. Please note: do so in a timely manner, it can take up to 1 working day for the Fund to validate the account and this is only done during the working week.
You can submit your draft application or project plan to the staff member concerned up to a maximum of two weeks before the closing date for application. This can be done by e-mail or telephone. If you have other questions please refer to our FAQ first or contact the Creative Industries Fund NL.
After your application has been submitted, the Fund office checks whether you comply with the formal requirements as listed in the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) and the Grant Programme for Design (PDF).
An advisory committee will evaluate your request on the basis of the Subsidy Regulations and the Design Grant Programme. In particular, it will assess the extent to which your application is aligned with the criteria listed in Articles 16 - 21 of the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) and the grant programme's specific objectives (Article 1 of the Grant Programme for Design (PDF)). If the positive decisions in a round of applications exceed the available budget, prioritization can be applied. The committee will issue a recommendation to the Creative Industries Fund NL's Board. View the composition of the advisory committee for the Design Grant Programme here.
The board will take the recommendation into account in their decision to award the subsidy or not. You will be informed of the decision 10 weeks after the closing date for the grant programme at the latest.
If you do not agree with the Creative Industries Fund NL's decision you can submit a reviewed application or letter of appeal. More information is provided here.
If you receive a grant from the Creative Industries Fund NL you will enter into obligations. Please read important information on your accountability here. Download the accountability form immediately here.
- For further information please contact:
You can also call +31 (0)10 4361600.
If you have questions concerning the online application environment please contact the secretariat.