Grant Programme for Festivals
04 september 2019
Budget: € 1.100.000
Creative Industries Fund NL uses the Grant Programme for Festivals to contribute to the promotion of excellent quality, development and professionalization of contemporary Dutch architecture, design and digital culture and to encourage interest in these disciplines. This grant programme has three application rounds a year.
Who is this programme aimed at?
- This programme is intended for festivals in the areas of architecture, design and digital culture. The festival must take place in the Netherlands. The audience may consist of professionals, experts and/or a broad public. A festival may programme the successes or instead opt for a more experimental approach.
For which components can a grant be applied for?
- The Grant Programme for Festivals is intended for the preparation, set-up and implementation of festivals.
Festivals are eligible that comply with the following:
a number of organized activities that are interrelated in terms of form and content and carried out within a pre-defined short period;
distinguished from the range of existing festivals in terms of content, set-up and implementation.
It is possible to request a start subsidy for festivals that have not realized more than three editions. The subsidy is intended for the development of the program, the setting up of coöperation partners and finding the right funding. A communication plan and co-financing for the start-up phase is not a requirement.
The maximum amount to be requested is €7,500. Read more about starting grants here.
What are the evaluation criteria?
- The advisory committee evaluates the proposal on:
• the extent to which the festival occupies a valuable or distinctive position in the existing assortment;
• the extent to which the festival functions as a platform, for instance because it makes meaningful connections between the content and the audience;
• the extent to which there is cultural entrepreneurship, in substantive terms (for example in the form of substantive collaboration partners) and/or financial terms (in the form of a financial strategy or development).
• the extent to which the application gives insight into the actual set-up, organization, communication, funding and implementation of the festival edition.
The evaluation of the proposals focuses primarily on the relevance of the theme and the resulting presentation of the question, the plan of action, the expertise of the parties involved, substantive and financial support and the consistency between all these elements.
Preparing the application
- 1. A project plan with an intrinsic motivation of the approach (PDF in A4 size, max. 12 pages) containing:
a description of the content of the festival, mentioning the artistic, intrinsic guiding principles;
an explanation of the importance of the festival for the discipline(s) of architecture, design and/or digital culture;
a description of the people and organizations with whom you collaborate;
the target group(s) you expect to reach;
substantive and practical development of the festival programme;
a communications strategy;
a financial cover plan.
3. budget (PDF in A4 size, max. 2 pages).
4. financial report of the previous edition (not obliged if festival has its 1st edition)
5. CVs of parties involved (PDF in A4 size, max. 4 pages in total)
4. proof of registration with a Dutch Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel)
Refer to the Grant Application Guide (PDF) when submitting your application. The guide provides certainty with regard to the grant application and the drawing up of the project plan, budget and communication plan.
Subsidy Regulations and Festivals Grant Programme
The Creative Industries Fund NL has Subsidy Regulations (PDF) that formally apply to the application, evaluation, awarding and final approval of a grant. Supplementary grant programmes have been drawn up with specific objectives and conditions. Read the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) as well as the Grant Programme for Festivals (PDF) attentively before submitting an application.
Exclusion of other grant programmes
Since the introduction of the Festivals Grant Programme in January 2017, festivals may no longer apply to the grant programmes for Architecture, Digital Culture and Design. As an exception, makers who have been invited by a festival to develop a new work may apply to one of the above-mentioned grant programmes. To do this, they should submit a project application under their own name. This must be accompanied by a declaration of intent from the festival in question.
Online application environment
The application should be submitted using the online application environment. You have to sign up and create an account to do so. Please note: do so in a timely manner, it can take up to 1 working day for the Fund to validate the account and this is only done during the working week.
You can submit your draft application or project plan to the staff member concerned up to a maximum of two weeks before the closing date for application. This can be done by e-mail or telephone. Do you have any other questions? See if your question is answered in the FAQ or contact the Creative Industries Fund NL.
After your application has been submitted, the Fund office checks whether you comply with the formal requirements as listed in the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) and the Grant Programme for Festivals (PDF).
An advisory committee will evaluate your request on the basis of the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) and the Festivals Grant Programme. In particular, it will assess the extent to which your application is aligned with the criteria listed in Article 16 - 21 of the Subsidy Regulations (PDF) and the specific objective of the Grant Programme for Festivals.
What makes this grant programme unusual is that it focuses on supporting festivals and that an application can be submitted for two phases. That is why a supplementary evaluation framework has been defined per phase. See the menu element “What are the evaluation criteria?”. The committee will issue a recommendation to the Creative Industries Fund NL's Board. View the composition of the advisory committee for the Festivals Grant Programme here.
The board will take the committee's recommendation into account in their decision to award the grant or not. You will be informed of the decision 10 weeks after the closing date for the grant programme at the latest.
If you do not agree with the Creative Industries Fund NL's decision you can submit a reviewed application or letter of appeal. More information is provided here.
If you receive a grant from the Creative Industries Fund NL you will enter into obligations. Please read important information on your accountability here. Two weeks before your project ends you will receive a request by e-mail to submit your accountability in the online application environment.
- For further information please contact:
Hugo van de Poel
You can also call +31 (0)10 4361600.
If you have questions concerning the online application environment please contact the secretariat.