Grant Programme Immerse\Interact
16 february 2021
31 august 2021
Budget 2021: € 790.000
in collaboration with the Netherlands Film Fund
The crossover between film and digital culture has created a new field in which digital pioneers, interactive designers and graphic designers work together with directors, screenwriters and producers on innovative media productions. Together they explore the future of storytelling in a changing media landscape. This future is digital: sometimes interactive, sometimes immersive, and sometimes in co-creation with an audience, but always based on the power of the story.
The Immerse\Interact grant programme stimulates projects within the interdisciplinary media landscape. It is a programme offered jointly by the Creative Industries Fund NL and the Netherlands Film Fund. Artistic research and experiment in the field of digital storytelling and the use of interactive or immersive media play a central role.
Note: Applications can only be submitted in digital form to the Netherlands Film Fund. You can submit the online application form until 5:00 pm on the day of the closing date.
Who is eligible to apply?
- • Film producers and AV producers (a legal entity, not a sole proprietorship or VOF) with a demonstrable track record in the field of interactive storytelling or immersive media forms (360-degree video, Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality) can apply. Applicants must be based in the Kingdom of the Netherlands, a member state of the EU, the EEA or Switzerland. The producer cannot also be the director, scriptwriter or designer.
• In addition, individual makers who are producing the project themselves are eligible, provided they have proven expertise in the field of interactive storytelling or immersive media forms. To apply, the individual makers must be registered with the Chamber of Commerce.
Individual makers who apply for realization must have a filmography/portfolio containing at least one realized project in the disciplines mentioned. For this purpose, a brief overview of realized projects must be submitted with the application, in which they describe their own production experience and the locations where each project has been shown.
For which projects can a grant be applied for?
- Development contribution applied for by the producer
€ 25,000 per project. The contribution is intended for carrying out research, optimizing an artistic concept and other preparatory work prior to the actual production phase. The advisory committee may also decide to grant a coaching contribution of up to € 5,000, provided it is part of the total amount applied for and the budget, and the CV and motivation of the coach are attached.
Realization contribution applied for by the producer
A maximum of € 100,000 per project to cover the production costs.
The Fund contribution will not exceed 85% of the production budget. The budget for the production phase must be balanced within six months of a grant being awarded. It is possible to apply for an additional contribution of € 5,000 for distribution – provided this is soundly justified. These costs should be included in the budget.
Development contribution applied for by individual maker
€ 15.000 per project, excluding a possible coaching contribution of maximum € 5,000, provided it is part of the total amount applied for and the budget, and the CV and motivation of the coach are attached.
Realization contribution requested by individual maker
€ 30,000 per project.
What are the evaluation criteria?
- Eligible to apply are artistic projects (largely Dutch film projects) that contain a supporting cinematic component and in which storytelling, both fiction and non-fiction, in relation to interactive (web-based/mobile) or immersive media forms (360-degree video, VR, AR), plays a central role. Crossovers in the form of transmedia productions or installations can also be considered.
During the evaluation, attention is paid to the following aspects:
• the project's artistic concept;
• explanation of how form and content relate to each other;
• step towards the look & feel of the project, with attention for design and cinematic quality; possibly including mood board or clips etc.
• explanation of how the project distinguishes itself from existing projects;
• team members involved in development phase;
• target audience;
• vision on ultimate intended production;
• planning and phasing of work in the development phase;
• budget (containing clear explanation) and financial coverage plan.
• the project's artistic concept;
• explanation of how form and content relate to each other;
• step towards the look & feel of the project, with attention for design and cinematic quality;
• the technical set-up of the project;
• team members involved in production phase;
• positioning of the project in relation to existing productions;
• the plan for and the explanation notes on the budget and financing, their degree of soundness and the feasibility of the final product;
• plan for release: intended target group, explanation of reach, (physical) location of screening, communication and distribution strategy
N.B.: these are not the required attachments for the application. The required attachments are listed on the application form and they all have to be attached for the project to be processed.
For each application, the advisory committee examines whether there is an accumulation of subsidies. Applicants supported by a multi-annual grant are expected to demonstrate how this subsidy relates to the application submitted to Immerse\Interact. This also applies to co-producers and other collaboration partners mentioned in the budget.
Projects that have previously received a grant from the Netherlands Film Fund and/or the Creative Industries Fund NL for a project are not eligible for a contribution for the same stage (development, realization) of that project. In addition to the Immerse\Interact application, it is not possible to submit an application for the same project to one of the other grant programmes of the Netherlands Film Fund or the Creative Industries Fund NL.
Applications can only be submitted in digital form to the Netherlands Film Fund. The subsidy office checks applications for completeness and formal requirements as laid down in the General Regulations. Only complete applications submitted before the deadline will be considered.
The Production department and Subsidy Office assess the production and business aspects of applications. If your application dossier meets the conditions, it will be submitted to an independent advisory committee, which will evaluate the application. The advisory committee issues a recommendation to the Board of the Netherlands Film Fund.
View the composition of the advisory committee here.
The Board takes the advisory committee's recommendation into account in their decision on the application. You will be informed of this decision in writing, at the latest 10 weeks after the closing date.
regulations and protocols
The above information is an explanation in broad outline. The text of the regulations and protocols below prevails.
regulations (in Dutch only)
• Deelreglement Realisering 2021
• Deelreglement Realisering
• Toelichting wijzigingen Deelreglement Ontwikkeling 1 januari 2021
• Toelichting wijzigingen Deelreglement Realisering 1 januari 2021
• Deelreglement Ontwikkeling 2021
• Deelreglement Ontwikkeling
• Toelichting wijzigingen Deelreglement Ontwikkeling 1 mei 2019
• Toelichting wijzigingen Deelreglement Realisering
• Algemeen Reglement
• Algemeen Reglement 2021
• Huishoudelijk Reglement
Protocols, procedures, models (in Dutch only)
• Begrotingsmodel ontwikkeling immerseinteract
• Begrotingsmodel realisering onderzoek & experiment
• Handboek Financiële Verantwoording
• Toelichting op wijzigingen Handboek Financiële Verantwoording
• Protocol Kinderbegeleiding
• Financieel en Productioneel Protocol
• Toelichting wijzigingen Financieel en Productioneel Protocol april 2020
Applying for a grant
- 1. As applicant, you submit the digital version of the application form with its attachments. This digital application takes the most important role in the evaluation.
For confirmation purposes, a signed paper copy of the application form (without attachments) must be received by the Fund within two days of submitting the digital application. To submit a digital application, create an account in Frame. You can do that here.
Then follow the four steps.2. A signed paper copy of the application form (without attachments) must be received by the Film Fund for confirmation within two days of submitting the digital application.
It is also possible to send this digitally signed application form by e-mail. In that case, it replaces the paper version of the application form. Submitting the paper version is therefore still possible.
The digitally signed form can be sent as a PDF to the Netherlands Film Fund via firstname.lastname@example.org, stating the following information, which can be found at question 1.2 on your application form:• Project title
• Application number
• Grant programme
• You are requested to submit the applications in the Dutch language. By way of exception, individual makers with a different native language may – in consultation with the Netherlands Film Fund – submit the application in English.
• Only complete applications (digital and paper versions) submitted on time will be considered.
- For more information please contact:
Nienke Doekes, project officer New Screen NL Talent Development & Cinematic Experiment:
Sean Gilis, coordinator of the Interactive and Immersive Media Productions programme:
Bonnie Dumanaw, contact person for interdisciplinary projects on behalf of the six national culture funds:
email@example.com of +31 20 523 16 00