Open Call: Participation in South by Southwest 2016
Creative Industries Fund NL is calling on creatives from the e-culture, film and games industry to submit a proposal that focuses on the 'Interactive' or 'Digital Domain' at the 2016 South by Southwest festival (SXSW). The Fund is making 10 grants available to a maximum of €6,000 per project. The Open Call is phased into two sub-calls: one for the Panel Picker and one for the remaining programme components. A precondition for support is that the proposal is selected by SXSW's organizers.
SXSW2016 takes place from 11 through 20 March 2016 in Austin, Texas. SXSW is one of the world's most important festivals and trade events in the fields of e-culture (interactive), film and music. It serves up an intriguing mix of major companies, start-ups and artistic productions. The festival focuses strongly on innovation and serves an important networking function for various sectors.
SXSW has an open structure with regards to the content of the programme. Anyone can submit proposals or projects to the organization, for which there are various deadlines. The Panel Picker for SXSW Interactive is open between 29 June and 24 July. For the latest information about submission deadlines, visit sxsw.com.
The Open Call
The Fund's Open Call is primarily focused on interesting proposals by Dutch participants in the Interactive programme that is being staged from 11 through 15 March 2016, and the coinciding Digital Domain programme that is part of the Film programme.
The Open Call is subdivided into two submission moments. The first closing date, 24 July 2015 is exclusively focused on the Panel Picker for the Interactive programme. (N.B. SXSW's registration for the Panel Picker closes on the same day.) The second round is intended for the remaining programme components and closes on 11 November 2015, for which the Fund will issue a new Open Call later in the year.
The maximum contribution from the Fund is €6,000 per project. A precondition for actual support is that your project is also selected by the SXSW organization. You can submit a proposal for one of the following programme components:
• participation in the conference (panels/sessions/talks) for the Interactive and Digital Domain components – N.B. Registration for the Panel Picker at SXSW is possible between 29 June and 24 July 2015.
• participation in the Accelerator programme
• participation in the Interactive Trade Show
• participation in one of the award competitions
You can submit your proposal via Creative Industries Fund NL's online application environment. In the pull-down menus select the 'Open Call' button and the 'Participation in South by Southwest' round. The proposal must comprise:
• Personal details and bank details (name, address and IBAN);
• a plan/description of the project or activities, specific to one of the official festival programmes;
• a concise budget and financing scheme;
• motivation for participation;
• CV (max. two pages);
• a certificate of registration from a Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KvK).
Please submit the proposal as a single PDF document of a maximum of 10 pages in A4 format that is no larger than 5 MB in size. If the proposal fails to meet this description, there is the risk that the contents will not be assessed.
The subsidy can be employed for:
• travel and accommodation costs for two people during SXSW;
• a maximum of two extra festival badges per project;
• the costs of participating in the event;
• material costs that are directly associated with participation in SXSW.
Each project proposal will be assessed in writing by three independent advisers. They check whether the project is an adequate fit with the Fund's overall objectives and its objectives for internationalization in particular. They also evaluate the quality of the plan and the degree to which the project fits with the context of SXSW. The Fund's objectives with respect to the Internationalization Programme are as follows:
• strengthening the image of the Dutch design sector;
• establishing long-term collaborative relationships;
• expanding the international sphere of activity.
In addition, the Fund has several sub-objectives specific to SXSW:
• facilitate successful participation in SXSW for individual parties;
• create collective added value where possible;
• enable participants to compare themselves with and keep abreast of international developments.
In the event of a positive advice, a maximum sum of €6,000 per proposal will be set aside. This amount will actually be awarded once the project has been selected to form part of the official programme by the SXSW organization.
The Fund is intending to support 10 projects and is therefore reserving a budget of €60,000. If the plan proposal or the budget give due cause, the contribution can be set at a lower amount. In the event of over-subscription, proposals that are not among the initial selection can, in consultation with the applicant, be placed on a reserve list. Then, in the event of funds being released by projects that are not admitted to the official SXSW programme, these reserve proposals can still be supported. The selection takes the form of a tender: a number of proposals are preferred above the others. The Fund will only communicate about the selected proposals and will not enter into any correspondence about the rejection of individual proposals.
The procedure for an Open Call is described in the Fund's General Subsidy Regulations. The selected proposals will receive a subsidy based on the Grant Programme for Internationalization. This Open Call is the only opportunity to receive support for participation in the SXSW Festival via Creative Industries Fund NL. The selection of the proposals in this first round will be made known to the applicants by e-mail. For questions about this Open Call and the procedure, please contact Hugo van de Poel, +31 (0)10-4361600, firstname.lastname@example.org
• In order to receive a subsidy you must be registered with a Dutch Chamber of Commerce (KvK). If that is not the case, then it is still possible to register subsequent to selection.
• Participants are personally responsible for the timely booking of travel and accommodation.
• Admission to the official SXSW programme is a prerequisite for support, but offers no guarantee of support from the Fund.